Website Guide - Web Forwarding...
What is Web Forwarding and Web Mapping?
- The act of redirecting one domain name to another
- If you have two domain names and domain-A is hosted, you can redirect domain-B to the hosted domain-A
- No matter which domain is entered by a web user, they will always be sent to the domain-A website
- For example, weblink4u.biz is forwarded to weblink4u.co.uk, so users entering the biz-extension will always arrive on the co.uk website
- Web forwarding is visible to search engines and knowledgeable web users
Web or Domain Mapping
- Although similar in operation to web forwarding, it is completely different
- In this instance, domain-B is set up on the server as an alias for domain-A
- Like forwarding, no matter which domain is entered by a web user, they will always be sent to the domain-A website
- But both domains are treated as one by search engines as both resolve to the same IP Address and website
- For example, weblink4u.com is mapped to weblink4u.co.uk, so either names can be used to access the website
- Mapped domains have full POP3 email facilities, thus firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com can be used interchangeably and both will be handled correctly by the server