Website Guide Domains 2...
What Domain Name Should You Buy?
Keyword-Rich Domain Names Are Best
- Research to find quality keywords that are applicable to your business
- For example, strong beer may be appropriate for a brewery company
- If the phrase "strong beer" is a frequent Google search phrase, then
- Check if strongbeer.co.uk or strong-beer.co.uk is available to register
- If the co.uk version isn't available, try uk, com, biz, eu and co
Business or Product Names
- if your business name already contains descriptive words covering your business like, for example, Thirst Quenching Beer, then use it
- Or if your product is already well known like Coca Cola™, use that
- If you can't find a good, keyword-rich domain name for your business, then probably best to use your business name
Which Suffix is Best?
- Best for international trading - com, biz, org or co
- Best for European trading - eu, com, biz, org or co
- Best for national UK trading - uk, co.uk, org.uk, com, biz, org or co
- Best for local UK trading - uk, co.uk or org.uk
Eliminate Competition - Become Exclusive
- To avoid web users from confusing your co.uk domain with an identically named com, it is in your interest to own both versions of the domain
- If you own myproductname.co.uk and myproductname.com, then such confusion is totally eliminated
- And if your domain contains two or more keywords, you should also consider buying my-product-name.co.uk and my-product-name.com as well
- This will give you exclusive control over these domains, and stop competitors from cashing in on your success
What is a TLD?
- TLD is an abbreviation for Top Level Domain. TLDs include:
- Primary suffixes like COM, NET and ORG
- Country suffixes like UK and IT
- Secondary suffixes add co or org to the domain, eg, co.uk or org.uk
- Dot-COM is still the most popular & highest rated TLD in the world